Undergraduate Study


Engaging in research allows undergraduate students to contribute unique perspectives, sharpen critical and analytical skills, complement and extend classroom learning, and prepare for graduate and professional study.

Usually listed as 499 among the various departments and units across the University, earning academic credit for research allows for the opportunity to engage in research at a deeper level under the supervision of faculty. Food systems and nutrition research with Nutritional Sciences Program faculty is organized through NUTR 499 Undergraduate Research; undergraduate research supervised by faculty in other programs would be registered for via their departmental research registration processes and using their department’s undergraduate research course number.

Students typically organize their own research experience through relationships they develop with faculty. The UW’s Undergraduate Research Program offers guidance on how to get started as well as a Research Opportunities Database. Opportunities for students enrolled in the School of Public Health are posted on the Student Opportunities page and advisers are available to discuss strategies and next steps.

How Do I Register?

  • Consult with your faculty mentor to develop a NUTR 499 Research Learning Contract (pdf) and submit to the Nutritional Sciences Program Student and Academic Services Office via email to ugnutr@uw.edu.
  • Once approved, our advising staff will provide you with a faculty code to register for the course.
  • Registering after the 5th day of the quarter will result in a $20 transaction fee.
  • The deadline to submit your application is the first Friday of the quarter; however, submitting earlier is strongly recommended. No late applications will be accepted.

Earning academic credit for research will not fit with all student course plans. No more than 5 credits combined of internship, study abroad, service learning, and research credits may be applied towards the upper division electives requirement for the Food Systems, Nutrition, and Health major or Nutrition minor; email advising after registering to inquire about counting NUTR 499 towards the major or minor.